Home Forums Rides-Rallies-Etc May 25 Age of Steam Museum

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      Roger Chaplin
      Participant

The May 25 west side ride will be a destination ride to the Age of Steam Roundhouse Museum in Sugarcreek. We will leave from Bob Evans on Center Rd (Rt 303) in Brunswick at 9:15 (pre-ride meeting at 9:10). We will ride backroads, skirting around Medina, Wadsworth, Rittman, and Wooster. We’ll have a rest stop at the Circle K at the intersection of routes 585 and 57 (we should be arriving there at about 10:10). The planned route gets us to the museum at 11:30, in plenty of time for the noon tour.

The only way to view the museum is to be on a tour. Tickets are $20 for adults, $12 for children 3-16, and $17 for veterans and seniors (65+). This link takes you to a page where you can buy tickets for the noon tour on May 25. Although you can purchase tickets at the door, I strongly advise you to buy tickets in advance since May 25 is in a holiday weekend.

The tour lasts 90 minutes. After it’s done, I’m sure some of us will head out to an eating spot while others may just head home on their own. My thought is Der Dutchman in Walnut Creek.

You can find the GPX route for this ride in the GPX downloads section of the website, look for AgeOfSteamMay25.gpx. Here’s a direct link: https://bmwmoc.org/shared-files/145215/AgeOfSteamMay25.gpx.

I look forward to riding with you and learning some railroad history on May 25!

Roger Chaplin
        Participant

A note about the GPX file, in case you want to view the route the same way I planned it. I used the latest Basecamp with the City Navigator North America NT 2025.1 map. I use a slightly customized Motorcycling profile: Route Preference is shorter distance, and the only Road Type Avoidance is Unpaved Roads. If you set up your profile like this before importing the GPX file you should end up with the same route. Also, when downloading to your GPS, you should first turn off your “avoid highways” setting.

Why did I turn off the Interstates and Major Highways road avoidances in Basecamp? Because otherwise it would not let me route on US 250. I don’t know why that is, but I just got tired of fighting with it and gave in.

Viewing 1 reply thread
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
      Email: Membership@bmwmoc.org
      Cleveland, Ohio